This is a photo of my mom with ten of my kids and me. I found out I was expecting Kenzie a month after this was taken.
Today is my mom’s 79th birthday. I know she won’t mind me saying that because her favorite saying is, ”You’re only as old as you feel.” I wish I felt the same. The closer I get to 40, the sadder I get.
Having said that, today’s post will be a tribute to my mom, Jean.
– Happy birthday to the woman who, upon finding out she was five months pregnant at the age of 39 (my current age),chose not to take the doctor’s advice and have an abortion. I wouldn’t be here today. The doctor was concerned that her advanced maternal age would cause her to have a Mongoloid baby (the doctor’s words, not mine).
– Happy birthday to the woman who did not have a baby with Down Syndrome but did have a baby with club foot in both legs. (Me)
– Happy birthday to the Mom who, along with my dad, drove me to Philadelphia over and over again to see a specialist.
– Happy birthday to my mom who never gave up on me, despite being told that I would never walk without crutches. She enrolled me in dance classes and skating classes, hoping the doctor’s predictions wouldn’t come true. They didn’t.
– Happy birthday to a mother who accompanied her daughter to countless dance classes and recitals. Because of her, I eventually became a certified dance teacher and a member of a dance company. I never did need those crutches.
– Happy birthday to the Granma who, despite still working full time, still finds time to be with her grandchildren who love her dearly.
You’re going to be a hard act to follow, Mom! I can only pray that I will approach motherhood and, eventually, grandmotherhood with the same tenderness, hope, and determination that you have.
I love you, Mom!